Why I Started a Jazz English Club After 20 Years as a Flight Attendant

K-Life in Seoul- Part 2

From International Airports to a Small Jazz Club in Seoul

For many years, my life existed somewhere between airports, hotel lounges, and international cities.

As a former flight attendant who worked for over 20 years in global airlines, I spent much of my life moving between cultures, languages, and people. During those years, one memory quietly stayed with me longer than I expected.

It was not a luxury hotel.

It was not a famous tourist destination.

It was a small brunch bar in Boston filled with soft jazz music.

Every morning, people casually spoke English over coffee while piano jazz played softly in the background. Nobody seemed rushed. Nobody seemed afraid of making mistakes while speaking.

At that moment, I realized something important.

Language feels completely different when people feel emotionally comfortable.

Years later, after returning from Hong Kong to Seoul, that small memory slowly became the beginning of my own space:

My Jazz Garden.

A jazz English club in Seoul inspired by music, emotional conversation, and international culture.


Why I Wanted to Create a Different Kind of English Space

In Korea, many people study English for years through memorization, grammar exercises, and exams.

However, real conversation often feels completely different from textbook English.

Even after decades of international work experience, I learned that natural communication is not about speaking perfectly.

It is about emotional flow.

That realization became the foundation of my English club philosophy.

Instead of focusing only on test preparation, I wanted to create a place where people could naturally experience:

  • real English used by flight attendants
  • hospitality English
  • emotional English phrases
  • customer service English phrases
  • airline service English
  • natural English for Korean learners

In many ways, jazz music and conversation are surprisingly similar.

Neither one is about perfection.

Both require listening, rhythm, emotion, and confidence.

That is why many visitors say My Jazz Garden feels different from a traditional English academy.

It feels warmer.

It feels more human.


Bringing Boston Jazz Culture to Seoul

When I first imagined opening a jazz-inspired English club in Seoul, honestly, I was nervous.

Would people understand this unusual concept?

Could music and English conversation naturally exist together?

But Seoul itself was already changing.

Over the last several years, jazz culture in Korea has grown tremendously, especially among younger generations searching for slower and more meaningful experiences.

Events like the Seoul Jazz Festival helped introduce jazz music to wider audiences across Korea.

Today, Seoul is filled with rooftop jazz bars, vinyl cafés, live music lounges, and emotional cultural spaces.

That atmosphere gave me courage.

And slowly, My Jazz Garden became real.

Some evenings now remind me of those quiet mornings in Boston:

Soft saxophone music.

Warm lighting.

People speaking English naturally without pressure.

Conversations flowing slowly over wine and coffee.

Sometimes life quietly returns us to old dreams.


What I Learned About English After 20 Years Abroad

One thing I often tell students at my jazz English club is this:

“You do not need perfect English to create meaningful conversations.”

This is especially important for Korean learners who are often afraid of making mistakes.

Real English is emotional.

It is the language people use when comforting someone, greeting guests, or connecting with strangers.

That is why I often teach simple but natural expressions such as:

  • Take your time.”
  • “I’m glad you made it.”
  • “You look tired today.”
  • “I was worried about you.

These are not difficult expressions.

But they sound warm, natural, and real.

This style of learning helps people build confidence much faster than memorizing long textbook dialogues.

It also reflects the kind of English commonly used in aviation English and hospitality service English.


Why Jazz and English Belong Together

The more I observe conversations, the more I realize that communication has rhythm.

People pause.

People react emotionally.

People improvise.

Jazz works exactly the same way.

That is why jazz creates such a comfortable environment for language learning.

At My Jazz Garden, some guests come to practice English.

Some come to relax after work.

Others simply come because modern city life feels emotionally exhausting.

And strangely enough, jazz often helps people lower their emotional barriers.

When people feel relaxed and emotionally safe, conversation becomes natural.

Perhaps that is the true secret behind language learning.


Building a Small Cultural Community in Seoul

Today, My Jazz Garden is more than simply a jazz club or English gathering.

It has slowly become a small cultural space connecting:

  • music
  • English conversation
  • Korean culture
  • international experiences
  • emotional storytelling

Looking back now, it feels fascinating that one small memory from a Boston brunch café eventually became part of my life again in Seoul.

Sometimes dreams do not disappear.

They simply wait quietly until we are finally ready to build them.

And perhaps that is what K-Life in Seoul truly means.

Not simply living in Korea.

But creating a life where memories, cultures, language, music, and people naturally meet together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Sabina | A Life Between Languages, Cultures, and Stories

Privacy Policy

Rediscovering the Beautiful North-South Romance of Crash Landing on You